About our Pilot Training School
Established in 1999, our Training Academy is synonymous with some of the finest pilot training schools worldwide.
We are committed to enhancing; skills development, technology transfer and pilot career opportunities in the aviation industry.
Have you considered becoming a pilot?
- By 2035, between 490 000 and 790 000 helicopter and aeroplane pilots will be needed to be trained, to meet global demands.
- If you are constantly looking up at the sky, an aviation lover, passionate about flying, want to fly for fun or follow this career path, then learn to fly with us.
- If you are not sure what career path you want to follow and think that you should have a ‘gap’ year after matric, why not learn to fly instead of heading overseas?
Helicopter or Aeroplane?
When deciding on whether you want to fly helicopters or aeroplanes, you need to first decide to which you are best suited. Helicopters and Aeroplanes serve different needs in the aviation industry and the techniques used to fly differ widely.
Starlite utilises both helicopters and aeroplanes extensively in all areas of our operational business, for example, some MEDEVAC contracts require both aircraft types.
General Pilot Training Requirements
If you love the outdoors, are the adventurous type with an outgoing personality, who works hard, is enthusiastic, determined and a team player, then you are on the road to a flying career of a lifetime. There are basic requirements that are essential before you begin your pilot training.
- You may begin your pilot training when you turn 16.
- English Proficiency Both Written and Spoken
- Good Health – Both Physical and Mental
- No Alcohol or Drug Dependency
- Personal Discipline
What Subjects Must I Select at School?
Whilst not pre-requisites to have as your Matric subjects; Math, Physical Science and Geography would be an advantage and play a significant role in the study of Aerodynamics, Navigation, Flight Planning and Meteorology.
- We are known for our stringent safety and quality standards.
- Our proven track record operating on 5 continents in over 88 countries validates our experience.
- We offer competitive aeroplane and helicopter training course prices.
- We tailor your pilot training to suit your lifestyle. Training programmes are unique to your requirements.
- Aircraft availability. We ensure that there are sufficient aircraft to cope with the increasing demand for pilot training.
- We assist with arranging comfortable accommodation for the duration of your training
How long will it take to become a qualified Commercial Pilot?
If you are a dedicated and motivated student pilot, it should take you 6 months to fly ‘solo’ and pass your Private Pilot Licence.
If you continue as a full-time student it should take a further 12 to 18 months to acquire your Commercial Pilot Licence and complete your required flying time of 200 hours.
What career opportunities will there be after I am qualified?
Many of our pilots fly for Starlite or other major aviation companies and are working for:
- Major global airlines
- Private helicopter and aeroplane companies
- Medevac which involves flying patients to the nearest medical facilities
- Transporting passengers and cargo
- Anti-poaching units across Africa
- Private local and international charter companies, flying tourists to holiday destinations and on scenic tours